ISO 27001 Implementation Guide
ISO 27001 Scope Statement Template
Download our ISO 27001 scope statement template, sent straight to your mailbox!
Our scope statement template contains:
- Easy to complete fields to describe your organisation
- Proven, conscise text templates to shape your statement
- All the information you need to add is conveniently highlighted in the document
Frequently asked questions
An ISO 27001 scope statement is a document that defines the boundaries and extent of your organisation’s information security management system (ISMS) in accordance with the ISO 27001 standard. Your scope statement should outline the specific areas, processes, and assets that will be included or excluded from the scope of your ISMS.
Your scope statement will serve as the foundation for implementing and maintaining your ISMS.
When you write your ISO 27001 scope statement, it is important to ensure your scope aligns with your strategic objectives. To ensure your scope stays aligned with your strategic objectives you should:
- Identify the reason for implementing the ISMS, such as growth opportunities tied to ISMS certification, a push from the board of directors, or customer requests
- Define the context of your organisation, including internal and external issues that are relevant to your organisation and its mission
- Identify interested parties, including stakeholders pertinent to the ISMS and requirements of interested parties.
- Identify the interfaces and dependencies to outside organisations
- Define the security goals and risks and decide how a security framework can support your organisation
- Identify the information, products, processes, services, systems, functions, subsidiaries, and geographies that need to be protected through the ISMS
- Write an ISO 27001 scope statement that details the purpose or context of your organisation, what processes are relevant to maintaining the business, and the information, products, processes, services, systems, functions, subsidiaries, and geographies that need to be protected through the ISMS
To ensure that your ISO 27001 scope statement is valid and compliant with ISO 27001, it should meet the following requirements:
- Your scope statement should be concise and clearly define the purpose or context of your organisation and what processes are relevant to maintaining the business
- Your scope statement should clearly identify the information, products, processes, services, systems, functions, subsidiaries, and geographies that need to be protected through the ISMS
- Your scope statement should be aligned with your organisation’s strategic objectives
- Your scope statement should be reviewed and updated regularly to ensure that it remains accurate and relevant to your organisation’s needs
- Your scope statement should be consistent with the requirements of the ISO 27001 standard
- Your scope statement should be included in the documentation of the ISMS
ISO 27001 is an international standard that provides a framework and guidelines for establishing, implementing, and managing an Information Security Management System (ISMS) to protect your organisation’s information in a systematic and cost-effective way.
The standard was developed to help organisations of any size or industry to protect their information and ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information in a company.